The Federation of Disability Organisations in Malawi (FEDOMA) was founded in 1999, as an umbrella organisation of Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) in Malawi to provide a unified voice for all the disabled people.
FEDOMA’s founding objectives
- To promote and advocate for the rights of people with disabilities.
- To advocate for and monitor the equalisation of opportunities for people with disabilities as stipulated in the United Nation’s Standard Rules.
- To coordinate and strengthen the capacity of the affiliated DPOs
FEDOMA as an umbrella organisation is respected and consulted by both the Government and NGOs on issues that relate to disability.
- Malawi Union of the Blind (MUB).
- Disabled Women in Development (DIWODE).
- Malawi National Association of the Deaf (MANAD).
- Malawi Disability Sports Association (MADISA).
- Parents of Disabled Children Association in Malawi (PODCAM).
- The Albino Association of Malawi (TAAM).
- Association of the Physically Disabled in Malawi (APDM).
- Disabled Widows Orphans Organizations of Malawi (DWOOM)
- Visual Hearing Membership Association (VIHEMA)
- National Epilepsy Association (NEA)
The mission of FEDOMA is to enhance the welfare of persons with disabilities and enable them play their rightful role in society.
Since its inception, FEDOMA has organised and has been involved in various activities towards the realisation of its objectives. These have covered the following areas among others:
- Conducting community awareness building campaigns, rallies and workshops to sensitise the communities on disability issues.
- Organising orientation workshops for members of parliament and journalists to sensitise them on disability issues.
- Successfully lobbied Government to pass the National Policy on the Equalisation of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities and is currently playing a significant role in lobbying for the enactment of the Bill on the Equalisation of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities.
- Playing a leading role in fighting for the inclusion of disability in all programmes that are meant to sensitise the population on the dangers of HIV/Aids.
- Conducted a Study on the Living Conditions of Persons With Activity Limitations.